We’re counting down the days until school starts on August 30, and we are so excited to welcome all our scholars back into our building! School will be in person five days a week, with COVID health and safety protocols in place. We are ready to resume the dynamic teaching and learning that has always taken place at IDEA and to rekindle the relationships that make our community so special.
Our priorities for this year are three Es. For the 2021-2022 school year, we are:
Growing from good to great through innovative methods, in order to restore
- Empathetic engagement with scholars and staff
- Enrichment for learning
- Equitable processes for all
What do the three Es mean for your scholars and families? Everything! We want to engage everyone in the IDEA family in the three Es. How can you participate?
- Attend town hall meetings to learn about upcoming activities, ask questions, and share ideas to help make IDEA a truly great school
- Join IDEA committees to help shape the future of our school
- Encourage scholars to take advantage of opportunities, such as our Twilight Academy, which will launch in the second quarter
- Ensure scholars are doing their work and check on their progress using Canvas and Powerschool (here’s a video to help)
- Ask scholars how their day was
- Keep the school informed about scholar or family issues that might affect scholars’ learning, or if supportive services are needed
Our strong, close-knit community has always been a hallmark of IDEA’s success, and it takes all of us working together to keep that going. We appreciate your help!
Please join us in welcoming new staff members to our IDEA family.
Araba Aidoo-Apau, College and Career Coordinator
Dr. Charlene Evans-Smith, Director of Intervention and Scholar Programming
Lenora Felder, Science Teacher
Lisa Garcia, Academic Counselor
Daniel Heo, Urban Teachers Fellow and Math Teacher
Steven Hartmann, Social Studies Teacher
Robert Jenkins, Athletic Coordinator
Aysha Prince, Exceptional Education Teacher
Jordan Randolph, Urban Teachers Fellow and English Teacher
Melissa Schick, Exceptional Education Teacher
Tara Wilson, Cafeteria Assistant
Remember to buy school supplies before school starts. You can find the list here.
Finally, we hope to see all of you at our back-to-school event on August 21 from 10am to 1pm at IDEA for a back-to-school meet and greet! Enjoy music, games, and vendors. Get to know your classmates and learn what to expect as an IDEA scholar so you can walk onto campus ready to succeed! At this event, new scholars will receive
- IDEA Chromebooks
- Two free uniform shirts
- IDEA swag bag
- Tours of the school building
We are excited to begin another school year together! If you have any questions or concerns, please contact me at email@example.com or 202.399.4750.