Welcome back to school, Timberwolves!
This week begins our fourth week of instruction for this school year! We have completed our MAP testing for 9th and 10th graders and 11th and 12th graders who are new to IDEA to assess their current reading and math levels. This information enables us to tailor teaching to the needs of our students and provides a baseline so we can see how much they’ve grown by the end of the year. Scholars received their first progress reports of the school year this week. We encourage families to pay close attention to the progress reports so they can support their scholar in improving or maintaining their performance in school.
Our new Dean’s List initiative encourages scholars to earn Guiding Five Principle Points through excellent attendance and behavior. Scholars who attend school on time every day will be rewarded for their dedication. Principle Points can be redeemed for IDEA swag, food, headphones, and more. Our school store is open Tuesdays and Fridays from 3:30pm-4:30pm.
This year on Wednesdays we are focusing on school culture activities instead of clubs to ensure that our scholars are thriving socially and emotionally as well as academically. During this period, ninth graders meet with their Peer Group Connection peer leaders. Other opportunities for scholars’ enrichment include restorative justice circles, town hall meetings, schoolwide assemblies, and Workforce Wednesdays, where scholars can meet professionals from a variety of fields to explore possible careers.
We are excited that so many scholars are enrolled in our career and technical education classes this fall, including carpentry, child development, video game design, print entrepreneurship, and green entrepreneurship. The University of the District of Columbia Community College is offering a college-level course in personal finance at IDEA on Wednesdays, taught by UDCCC business professor Albert Pearsall.
Already preparing for their upcoming internships, 13 scholars were accepted by Urban Alliance for year-long internships. Scholars will receive their internship placements soon. Right now they are learning about professional dress and behavior and the expectations for interns.
A few dates to remember:
- Our next Saturday School session is September 21. Saturday School is open to all scholars from 8:30am to noon and includes a free hot breakfast.
- Parent Boosters meets Thursday, September 19 from 6pm-7pm in room 108 to discuss how families can work together with our staff this year to support our scholars.
- College financial aid information session for senior families will be held September 24 from 5-6:30pm to provide guidance on how to apply for financial aid with the FAFSA.
- Trinity University will visit IDEA September 24.
- Prince George’s Community College will visit IDEA September 25.
- Morgan State University will visit IDEA October 1.
- Our school-wide SAT test is October 16. Seniors who attend Saturday School and take practice SAT tests to prepare for the SAT receive gift cards and other incentives.
- Eligible scholars will visit Towson University and Goucher College on October 18
- Eligible seniors will visit the University of Maryland Eastern Shore on October 23
So many exciting opportunities are available for our scholars. We hope our families and our community will continue to support our scholars in taking advantage of everything IDEA has to offer.