You know that DC public schools--and DC public charter schools--are funded by DC, but did you realize that just covers the basics such as supplies, salaries, and utilities? We know that essential educational and formative experiences happen both in and outside of the classroom. We've learned that many scholars need a little extra help--academically, socially, and emotionally--to overcome obstacles and become their best selves. And we appreciate that people like you help IDEA provide the opportunities, strong supports, and enrichment that enable our scholars to thrive.
Here are just a few examples of what IDEA does above and beyond traditional classroom instruction:
- Our community came together to plant a living classroom that strengthens the ecosystem on our campus, decreases pollution to the Anacostia, and beautifies our community.
- Our US Army JROTC, Academy of Construction and Design, and early childhood education programs provide a variety of life and workforce skills that enrich scholars' lives and expand career options.
- Our safe passage bus enables scholars to get to and from school safely.
- An average of 50 scholars participate in each session of Saturday school--and enjoy a free hot breakfast--to stay on track academically.
- Every scholar participates in a weekly club to learn new skills and explore new passions, such as beekeeping, chess, cooking, gardening, and more.
- Chromebook laptops are provided for all scholars to use, and seniors each have their own computer that is theirs to keep upon graduation.
- College tours help scholars understand and prepare for the importance of post-secondary education. Often seniors have the opportunity to apply for on-site admission.
- Championship athletic teams travel to tournaments and learn from higher-level athletes.
- Scholars take field trips to renowned institutions such as NIH to hear about cutting-edge research from the scientists themselves.
- By exemplifying our Five Guiding Principles, scholars earn points good for buying snacks, gear, and IDEA swag in our school store, or going bowling, skating, or on other community-building field trips.
Think back to the moments in your own education that shaped who you are today. Who helped you to follow your dreams? What opportunities did you have that helped you succeed? Can you take a few minutes today to make a contribution that will form positive futures for IDEA scholars?
When you make a donation for #GivingTuesday you are opening up new worlds for IDEA scholars. We invite you to give generously and change lives. Click here to donate now.